Wednesday, May 7, 2014




Several months ago, I commented on a post which received so many favorable responses that I've decided to post it on my blog for my regular readers to take in and think about. 
Here's the original blog post from Ted Farrar, Writer, Batrachologist, nature lover, granddad -- 

For the sake of writers everywhere, please STOP this!

Please, please, please - for the sake of all established and newbie authors alike - PLEASE stop giving away your e-books for free or at ridiculously low prices!
You might think you’re giving your books an advantage by promoting your name, but all you are doing is undervaluing your work and making it impossible for authors to make a decent living. At the present time there are so many free e-books available that e-book readers have no need to pay a reasonable price to read anything. I know of people who NEVER buy an e-book – they just surf the freebies. They’re not that discerning: if it’s rubbish they’ll go on to the next freebie. The thing is, they don’t have to be discerning. People get a finite amount of leisure time and as long as they’re spending that time reading free books they aren’t going to be buying yours.
To compete in this giveaway market means that to sell any books at all we have to reduce the price way below what our books are worth. Now, I don’t know about you folks, but I worked and sweated my arse off to write my novel. The idea that ‘Okay’ or ‘Now’ magazine is worth more than 18 months of hard work sticks in my craw.
Although this might sound hilariously naive, attempting to level the playing field with this being a free market and all, I’m proposing we should introduce a minimum price range. I suggest we should price novellas at no less than £0.99, short novels at £1.99 and larger novels at £2.99. This still gives us scope to value our work at more than this, but safeguards us against slitting our own throats to attract a readership, and then we can let our books speak for themselves.

THIS WAS MY RESPONSE --

Here's what I believe Ted might be overlooking... 

When a reader gets something for free (because you offered it for free or because they took it for free, pirated, it doesn't really matter so far), in that territory, the odds are, when they liked it, the chances of the author SELLING SOMETHING just increased.
The key phrase is WHEN THEY LIKED IT...
This is especially true with books... 
Meaning that people like to test something...
Whatever happens after they like it... 
Usually bodes well for the author... financially.
I have theories as to why that that is true, and so do a lot of other people, people way smarter than me, who have staked their reputation on this -- People will pay if it is worth while to them to get what they want.
TRUST YOUR WRITING. 
Trust that if you create something that is worth paying for... people will pay for it.
If Free gets you noticed... do it. 
If a discount gets you noticed... do it. 
There's only so much time... and books take time to read... 
There will never ever be "overnight" successes. 
It takes time... free... discount... whatever... 
If you are unknown... and you wrote something... didn't do something infamous... 
YOU WROTE SOMETHING... it takes time...
Whenever you hear someone talking about a plan to MAKE PEOPLE PAY FOR SOMETHING... 
I believe its those people who are not trusting the quality of their writing. 
And these same people will be asking for something else if they achieve their aims.
I hope I'm right. 
And if I'm wrong, I grant Ted his point, and that by granting his point, it might be too late to change courses.
I'm still going to take that chance because... 
I know I'm right... 
And...
I believe in my writing!!!
And all you writers who feel the same way (and if you don't feel that way, why are you still in the game?)... 
This is one of those moments... where you may not have sighted land yet...
And you're getting itchy because you fear there may never be...
A point where you reach the promised land.
I tell you it's out there... 
STAY THE COURSE. 


No comments:

Post a Comment